Saturday

Instructions Tattoo

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* hypoallergenic soap
* Aveeno Daily Moisturizing lotion w/natural colloidal oatmeal
* freshly clean towels

Step 1
my 3/4 sleeve
my 3/4 sleeve

Now that you've embarked upon you first experience with a piece of body art it's time to take care of it. First off I want to say that since there are hundreds of tattooed people as well as artist everyone is going to have a different opinion on this subject. I am not a health expert nor a tattoo artist, just a heavily tattooed individual sharing my experience.

Step 2

Depending on what part of the body you got your tattoo you may need help from a friend, spouse, etc to care for your tattoo. The first thing I recommend doing is going to the store and buying yourself some hypo allergenic soap(I prefer Dial) but any soap will do as long as it is fragrance FREE! The chemicals and fragrance added to non hypo allergenic soaps clog the pores of your skin and do not allow the skin to breathe. Don't buy the anti bacterial either.

Step 3

Once you've come home from your appointment your going to want to wash your new tattoo with hot water and soap. Do not simply wash your body part where the tattoo is like you normally would. Run the bar of soap between your hands and build up a good lather. Then gently pat the soap all over the tattoo and rinse it with hot water. I do this at least twice, depending on the size of the tattoo. Don't get freaked out if the skin under and around the tattoo looks like it has a film a slime all over it. This is a normal reaction and part of the healing process. Now that you are done washing the tattoo get out of the shower and grab a fresh clean towel, not the one you used last night or this morning. It's really important to make sure the towels are clean since the risk of infection is high with newly tattooed skin. Fold the towel into a dish towel size if possible and PAT the area down lightly. I don't use any force. I just let the towel naturally pick up the moisture off my body.

Step 4
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with colloidal oatmeal
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with colloidal oatmeal

Now that the tattoo is dry you are going to need to moisturize it. Again, everyone is going to have a different opinion on what to use to do this with. Some people will say to use A&D ointment, some will tell you to use plain old lotion. I will tell you right now that I have heard absolute horror stories from people that have used A&D ointment and other that have used plain old lotions with fragrances. They can cause the ink to fade and the skin to not heal properly. I only use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with colloidal oatmeal. It is fragrance free and the oatmeal contributes a natural healing element to the process. Grab the bottle and either squeeze some out directly onto your tattoo or your hand. The just like you dried the tattoo lightly pat the lotion all over the area. I personally put the lotion in the middle of my fingers and the use the upper portion of my hand to pat it dry. Don't use a towel after this just leave it alone. If you are going to work just get dressed and go. If you are going to bed however and you tattooed your arm, leg, calf, shoulder etc then I would suggest laying down a fresh clean towel rather than allowing the tattoo to come into contact with your sheets unless you just washed them.